Share This Guide
A working air purifier ensures excellent air in your home or office. Filters must be cleaned or replaced regularly to effectively trap contaminating particles from the air. Getting an air purifier with a washable filter makes maintenance easy, flexible, and cost-effective.
Various brands of air purifiers have different performance levels, and it can be challenging to choose when shopping for the best air purifier with a washable filter. We have researched, tested, and reviewed the most powerful, energy-efficient, and effective air purifiers you can trust.
The Top 3 Mentioned in this post:
Best Air Purifier with Washable Filter – Reviews
The following are reviews and details of the best air purifiers with washable filters on the market
1. Honeywell HFD-120-Q Air Purifier
Honeywell QuietClean Tower Air Purifier is a highly efficient air-cleaning unit designed for medium-sized rooms of up to 170 square feet. It features permanent pre-filter and IFD, washable filters that effectively capture up to 99% of airborne allergens, 2 microns or larger. This includes dust, smoke, pollen, pet dander, and mold spores.
This tower-shaped air purifier is quiet when working, and you can comfortably use it in your bedroom. It circulates clean air free of odor, contaminating particles, and allergens five times every hour to every part of the room as it oscillates left and right. The air purifier is compact and only weighs 16 pounds; you can quickly move it from one place to another.
Similar to the Brondell O2+, the Honeywell HFD-120-Q has a built-in ionizer that also removes particulates, microbes, and odors from the air, which don’t get directly trapped into its IFD filter. On the LED touch button control panel, you can select the filtration speed from the three-speed settings. There is also an Electronic filter check indicator light which reminds you when the filters are dirty and need to be washed.
This air purifier with a washable filter is ENERGY STAR and ARB certified. This is an energy-efficient rating that guarantees low electricity consumption and reduced greenhouse gas emissions. You get a 5-year limited warranty when you purchase this product.
|CADR||Dust 100, Smoke 110, Pollen 132|
|Dimensions||10.4 x 9.65 x 28.74 inches|
|Filter Type||ifD (Intense Field Dielectric)|
Why we like it
- Effectively capture up to 99% of airborne particles
- Quiet operation and effectively circulate fresh air throughout the room
- On/off oscillation control
- LED touch button control panel with three speeds
- Electronic filter check indicator that reminds you when the filters are dirty
- Washable filters – simple rinse filters with water and let dry.
- ENERGY STAR Certified Low electricity bills
- ARB Certified to comply with a federal ozone emissions limit
- 5-year limited warranty
- The device can be loud on higher speed setting
- It does not have a timer, remote control, or auto-shutoff function
- May not perform well in large rooms beyond the recommended
2. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier features a True HEPA filter that captures 99.97% of airborne particles, including dust mites, pet dander, pollen, and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns. It also has a washable activated carbon filter and PlasmaWave filter that removes household odors, chemical vapors, and other gas allergens.
Winix 5500-2 has intelligent sensors that gauge and auto adjust the fans to carry out the filtration as needed. During the night, the model adjusts to auto-sleep mode to ensure that you enjoy silent nights of fresh air with reduced lighting from the LED panel.
This air purifier is suitable for medium and large rooms, including kid’s bedrooms, family rooms, and kitchens. The included remote control makes it flexible to operate this device even while you are in your bed. This product is energy star certified, and you won’t be burdened by electricity bills.
To ensure you are getting quality air all year round, clean the permanent pre-filter every two weeks, the carbon filter every three months, and replace the filter every 12 months with the guide of the filter replacement indicator. A two-year limited warranty is issued for this product.
|Dimensions||15 x 8.2 x 23.6 inches|
Why we like it
- A powerful air cleaner for large spaces
- Has advanced features and smart controls
- HEPA filter and PlasmaWave filtration
- Comes with a remote control
- 4 stage air cleaning
- Gauges air quality
- Energy efficient
- Filters need to be replaced after a year which can be costly
- Automatically switches to night mode when lights go out, even in the daytime
- Can be loud when on turbo mode
3. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
Blue Pure air 211+ purifier is a beautifully designed model that features a 3-stage filtration system; that includes; washable pre-filters that remove large particles, a HEPASilent filtration technology that captures 99.97% of airborne particles, 0.1 microns or more, including dust, pollen, pet dander, mold and microbes and a carbon filters that remove VOCs and odor caused by pets, cooking, smoking and more.
The machine wash outside pre-filters come in five different colors, and you can customize the appearance of the purifier according to your interior decor in just few minutes. Diva blue and dark grey pre-filters are usually included in the kit, whereas the additional color can be purchased separately.
Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier is quiet, and you can use it comfortably in family rooms. The air is drawn in from all directions and released while pure 5 times per hour. This device is ENERGY STAR rated and also certified for safe ozone emissions.
|CARD||Dust: 350, Smoke 350, Pollen 350|
|Dimensions||13 x 13 x 20.4 inches|
|Filter Type||HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air)|
Why we like it
- A powerful air purifier for large rooms
- The color can be customized to match your decor
- Preserves energy and is safe to use in the family home
- Uses HEPA filters to trap 99.7 airborne particles
- Silent and compact design
- 2 Years Warranty
- Only the pre-filter is a washable thus higher operating cost
- Quite expensive with no extra features
- It does not effectively eliminate volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
4. Honeywell AirGenius Air Purifier
Honeywell HFD320 AirGenius 5 is a reliable air cleaner for medium-sized to large rooms (250 sq. feet). It has multiple layers of filters, including a pre-filter, the main filter, and an optional odor-reducing filter. The filtered air is circulated at the rate of 5 times an hour, and you can be sure of breathing clean quality air.
This tower air purifier with washable filters has five air cleaning levels that include germ, allergen, general max, and a sleep setting that is nearly silent. Its if filter captures up to 99.9% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns, including pet dander, pollen, dust, smoke, plus some virus, and bacteria.
Honeywell AirGenius Air Purifier is ENERGY STAR rated, thus highly energy efficient. It uses the same energy as a light bulb and no worry about bloated electricity bills. You get a 5-year limited warranty when you buy this product.
|Dimensions||9.9 x 9.7 x 26.8 inches|
|CARD||Smoke 161, Dust 160, Pollen 170|
|Filter Type||ifD washable|
Why we like it
- Effectively 99.9% of microscopic allergens and harmful gases
- It has Smart touch screen controls
- Covers large spaces or rooms
- Quiet operation, especially in sleep mode
- On/off oscillation control
- 2-12 hour automatic shut-off timer
- 5-year warranty
- Noisy on maximum speed
- It does not have an ionizer
5. Blueair Blue Pure 411+ Air Purifier
Blueair Blue Pure 411+ Air Purifier is incredibly significant for small rooms. Its three-stage air purification ensures that all the floating particles are captured, and you get clean quality air to breathe. The pre-filter and main filter trap 99.97% of particles, including pollen, dust, and microbes, while the activated carbon filter removes odor and gas.
This air purifier is lightweight, compact, and sturdy in construction. The color can be customized to match your interior decor using the 6-pre-filter color options. It is whisper-quiet on low-speed settings and you can use it in your bedroom.
Blue Pure 411+ takes up air from all directions and produces filtered air 5 times per hour. It is one of the models rated as energy-efficient and ozone-safe. You get a 1-year limited warranty when you buy this product.
|Color||White/Diva Blue/Dark Shadow|
|Dimension||10.2 x 10.2 x 20.5 inches|
Why we like it
- Effective air cleaning in small rooms
- Ozone safe and energy-efficient
- quiet on low speed
- impressive design and colors
- It makes noise when running at a high speed
- No timer or auto-shutoff feature
How do you choose the best air purifier with a washable filter?
When buying an air purifier with washable, reusable filters, here are things you need to look at
1. CADR rating
Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) measures an air purifier’s performance. The rating reflects the volume of clean air per cubic minute a purifier can generate at maximum speed. Smoke, pollen, and dust particles have different sizes and are thus used in determining the CADR value. Models with higher CADR ratings are powerful and more efficient.
2. Coverage area
Air purifiers have different rates of coverage ranging from small to large. Coverage is usually mentioned on every device to help you choose one that will effectively fit your space. Using a small-capacity air purifier in a large room will not be efficient. Similarly, a large air purifier will be too much for a small room. Coverage area is thus an important feature to consider.
3. Air Cleaning capacity
The main reason to invest in an air purifier is to have clean air in your home or office. Airborne particles such as smoke, dust, pollen, dust mites, pet dander, and mold are very small. A good air purifier with washable filters should be able to eliminate anything of 0.3 macros or larger. HEPA and filters are incredibly effective at capturing almost every size of the particle.
4. Product size
Air purifiers come in a wide range of sizes and designs, affecting their portability, storage, or use. Large models are weighty and may require a spacious room. If your room is small, you may go for small or thin, tall models which occupy minimal space. If you have enough space in your home or office, choose any model as long as it has the right features.
5. Extra features
While the primary role of an air purifier is to clean air, some additional features can make it friendly to use. Multiple fan speeds, an auto shut-off, and remote control can make an air purifier stand out.
Further, energy efficiency and ozone-safe certification are also important. Energy Star rated devices preserves energy, and you will not be troubled by abnormally higher bills.
How do you clean washable air filters?
As part of maintenance, reusable air filters must be cleaned at least once every month. Proper cleaning is critical for airflow and the performance of your air purification system. A dirty filter can lead to several complications for a purifier, including sluggish running, noise, overheating, and sometimes a breakdown.
On the other hand, a well-cleaned filter has increased efficiency by up to 5% and can last for 5 years. Before you start the cleaning, figure out if the filters are reusable or disposable. From the manual, also ensure that your unit is not self-cleaning; if it’s not, then follow the following cleaning steps:
- Check your manual on how to remove the filter from the purifier and do so
- Use a vacuum to suck all the particles from the filter or use a scrub brush if you don’t have a vacuum
- Soak the filter in soapy water for 3 minutes and rinse with a hose. You may also soak it in vinegar solution in place of soapy water
- Let the filtered air dry under the sun before fixing it for the next use. Alternatively, you may use a drier.
NOTE: Do not run your air purifier without filters. This can cause damage to the internal parts. Further, never use a filter that is not fully dry. This will attract mold on this porous surface which may spread to the whole unit to cause discoloration to parts.
Pros and cons of an air purifier with a washable filter
- Money saver: Non-washable or replaceable filters need frequent replacement every three to six months. This is a very expensive affair in the long run. Washable filters are recyclable; once you buy them, it takes several years before you replace them.
- Effective on most airborne particles: recyclable filters are known to remove various pollutants from the air, including dirt, dander, dust, pollen, and spores.
- Easy to clean: Unlike replaceable filters, which are only effective for some time, washable filters can be cleaned whenever needed. This also makes the filters last longer and consistently provide quality air.
- Little maintenance: It takes a few minutes to wash and dry the reusable filters before you use them again.
- Quiet running: Air purifiers with washable filters are known to be quieter as compared to those with permanent replaceable filters.
- Not thorough: Most washable filters eliminate particles of up to 2 microns. This makes them ineffective in handling allergens, viruses or bacteria.
- Not ideal for large dirty rooms: Unlike most manufacturers state, washable filters are highly effective for small rooms. They clog faster in large dirty rooms, and you will need frequent cleaning.
- May not be effective in the long run: Frequent washing for a longer period of time can damage the reusable filters. You are likely to be using a faulty filter without your knowledge.
Choosing an air purifier with washable filters is a great idea over one with permanent air filters. This saves you the recurrent cost of replacing filters and gives you the convenience of cleaning and maintaining your air purification machine. Our collection of the best air purifiers with filters lists the most versatile, powerful, and efficient air cleaning machines you can trust. We hope you found what you deserve.
See our other Air Purifier content:
- Do Air Purifiers Remove Construction Dust?
- Alen BreatheSmart 75i Air Purifier Review
- Levoit Air Purifier Reviews – Which Models Are Best?
- What is the Red Light on Levoit Air Purifiers [Reasons & Fixes]
- Best Air Purifier with Washable Filters – Complete Guide & Reviews
- Brondell Revive O2+ True HEPA Air Purifier and Humidifier REVIEW
- Can You Put Hydrogen Peroxide in a Humidifier? + How it Works
- Air Purifier That uses Water
- Do Air Purifiers Dry Out The Air?
- How to Choose The Best Air Purifier For A Dorm Room
- Which Air Purifiers Are Used to Clear Asbestos Particles?
- Dyson TP02 vs TP04 – (Differences Compared)
- Dyson Pure Cool TP01 Review
- Can You Wash a HEPA Filter? Benefits and Drawbacks
- Do Air Purifiers Help with Dust?
- Air Purifier vs. Ionizer: Differences + How They Work
- How Long Should You Run an Air Purifier?
- How to Clean Germguardian Filter + HEPA Filter Replacement Guide
- Dehumidifier vs Air Purifier – Differences + How they Work
- Do Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bags Work? 4 Best Bags + Reviews