Summer sometimes comes with unbearably high temperatures. And when it gets too hot, you want your ac to cool your home.
When your Honeywell thermostat won’t go below 68 degrees, this could be because it has a lower temperature limiter enabled.
When your ac is not cooling enough as you want it to, high temperatures will not only leave you and your family uncomfortable but can also give you a headache.
Why Your Honeywell Thermostat Won’t Go below 68
Apart from the temperature limiter, there are a few other things that could prevent your thermostat from going below a temperature point. Let’s now look at the common things that can prevent your Honeywell from cooling down to your set point.
Honeywell Temperature Limiter
If your thermostat cannot go below 68 degrees or any other temperature point, this could be a result of a temperature limiter that has been activated on your thermostat.
If you are renting a house or apartment, your landlord might have enabled a temperature limiter on your thermostat. And if you are a homeowner, either your installer or previous owner might have set up a limiter but don’t worry shortly we’ll be looking at how to bypass a Honeywell temperature limiter.
What is a thermostat temperature limiter?
A thermostat temperature limiter is a temperature locking feature that comes with Honeywell or other thermostat brands to lock temperatures from going below the recommended temperature. It also prevents your thermostat from going above the recommended temperature.
A temperature limiter helps in preventing your system from overheating and your ac coils from freezing. Overheating and freezing of your coils can result costly repairs. So, you have to be cautious when you are removing the temperature limiter from your thermostat.
If you want to lower your thermostat below 68 degrees, here is a method you can use to deactivate the temperature limiter.
How to bypass Honeywell thermostat temperature limiter
There are a few steps you can use to bypass a thermostat temperature limiter. This is just one of them. If you are using a Honeywell pro series, follow these steps:
- Press the fan button and the up button at the same time
- When a menu pops up, start pressing the next button until you see the ‘Set’ upper limit temperature on the right side of the screen.
- To adjust the upper limit limiter, adjust the temperature accordingly using the up and the down button
- To remove the lower limit, press next and your set lower limit should display. In this case, you should see 68. Adjust this using the up and down buttons.
- When you set your desired minimum and maximum temperature points, press done and that’s it.
Clogged Air Filters
Filters collect dust and other unwanted particles in order for your ac to work properly. Overtime filters can become too dirty and eventually get clogged. This could restrict airflow to the coil, and also create problems with your indoor temperature going below 68 degrees.
When you notice that your Honeywell won’t reach your set temperature, you might want to check the status of your air filter. Check whether your filters are dirty or not. If your filters are dirty, wash them or change them (if you are using the disposable ones).
If you are wondering where your ac filters are located on your HVAC system, you can find filters at the return vents near the center of your home, or at the furnace or air handler.
How to change ac filters
- After you locate the filter, pull it out gently. Note that some systems can have two filters, one at the furnace and another at the return vent.
- Put your filter against the light and check whether you can’t see light through. If you can’t see light, then your filter is definitely dirty, and you’ll need to replace it.
- Take note of the size of your filter before buying another one.
- When putting a new filter, put it in the correct direction. See the arrow on the filter to allow proper circulation of air.
Outdoor Temperature is Just Too High
Another thing that could prevent your thermostat from cooling below your set point is the outdoor temperature which is way too high.
Air conditioners are designed to cool your home by 20 degrees from the outdoor temperature. So, if the outdoor temperature is 88 degrees hot or more, then you can expect your indoor air to cool down to only about 68. There is nothing much you can do when your outdoor temperature is too high, but you can try the following.
- Closing outside doors and windows
- Turning off heat-producing appliances when your ac is on. If possible, instead of turning on your indoor stove or oven, go and grill from outside.
Now that you know why your Honeywell thermostat won’t go below 68 degrees, I hope you have already found a solution to your problem. Thanks for reading.