Share This Guide
If using an air conditioner is not an option, going for fans that blow cold air is the way to go.
These can generally be inexpensive compared to air conditioners and are more energy efficient.
But not all fans can create cold air, and that is why we came up with this article to help you pick only the best fan that can truly satisfy your needs.
While not all fans can create cold air, nearly all of them can blow cold air if the surrounding air is also cold. That said, no ordinary fans can create cold air like air conditioners. There are only fans with additional features that can make them create and blow cold air like conditioners.
These are the best fans that can blow cold air
- Luma Comfort MF24B 24″ Oscillating Misting Fan
- New Air Pedestrian Misting fan
- Newair Evaporative Air Cooler and Portable Cooling Fan (Best portable)
- Geek Aire misting Fan (Best portable)
- OEMTOOLS 23980 24″ Oscillating Wall-Mount Misting Fan (Best wall mountable)
- Hessaire MC37M Evaporative Cooler
- hOmeLabs Evaporative Cooler
- Honeywell Powerful Outdoor Portable Evaporative Cooler with Fan
- Dyson Cool AM07 Air Multiplier Tower Fan (Does not create cold air)
- Lasko Products Portable Electric 42″ Oscillating Tower Fan (does not create cold air)
What type of fans can blow cold air in hot weather?
Let’s now look at the type of fans with features that make them capable of blowing cold air. These types of fans are
1. Misting fans
2. Evaporative coolers
In short, there are two types of fans that can ‘blow cold’ although we have added 2 more other fans that blow air well and can make you feel cooler.
10 Best Fans That Blow Cold Air and lower surrounding temperatures
The first eight fans below on our list can create and blow cold air, but we have added 2 more good fans to make a list of 10. The 9th and 10th fans on our list can still keep you cool without lowering the surrounding temperatures. Let’s look at these fans in a little detail.
1) Luma Comfort MF24B 24″ Oscillating Misting Fan
- PORTABLE MISTING FAN – Ideal for outdoor use with low noise output and equipped with sturdy wheels and a safety break. You’ll have no problem transporting this portable fan with mist to your patio and backyard, or pretty much anywhere you want to use it. The 12-hour run time means you won’t have to worry about this portable misting fan running out of juice and leaving you to sweat.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE, ELEGANT OUTDOOR MISTING FAN – The Island Breeze is a high performance portable centrifugal mist fan offering numerous product advantages. Our premium oscillating misting fan is constructed using high quality materials that not only look good but are highly functional too. 100% weather-proof and rust resistant, this robust misting fan is an investment worth making as you won’t have to worry about replacing it anytime soon.
- 3-SPEED QUIET OPERATION – The 100% copper motor is capable of covering 40 feet of outdoor space comfortably and it can go even further than that in calmer climates. The best part? This portable cooling fan is whisper quiet! You can sleep peacefully on your patio and not have to worry about the buzzing, clicking, or vibrating noise that many fans make. The 3-speed operation allows you to choose the setting you want so the temperature is always just right.
- MORE THAN JUST AN OUTDOOR COOLING SYSTEM – While the best place to use this cool mist fan is outside on patios and backyards, as well as during activities, it’s much more versatile as well. You can use it to mist tropical plants and give them the high humidity environment they need to survive.
- COOL DOWN WHILE SAVING MONEY – Who ever said that you need to spend a fortune for home comforts? Instead of wasting your hard earned dollars on a mist system, simply make a small investment in one of our outdoor fans for patios and enjoy an outdoor cooling system for years to come. Our large patio fans can cover a wide area so you can chill out and relax at your patio, all without draining your pocketbook.
The Lumia comfort is the ideal solution if you are looking for something that you can use both indoors and outdoor. This model can cool rooms or spaces up to 800 square feet and can lower surrounding temperatures between 30-45 degrees. While this is not the quietest fan on the market, the noise from its operation should not be a distraction to your normal conversation.
This model is ideal for your office, home, patio, or poolside; it’s also equipped with a 1.7 lire water tank that can hold water for up to 5 hours.
- Easy to install, the unit comes with clear instructions on how to install
- Energy efficient compared to a traditional air conditioner
- Non-weatherproof, during storms, you need to put it indoors
- It doesn’t come with a remote control
2) Newair 2800 CFM Pedestrian Misting fan
- COOL MIST FAN – This misting cooling fan is perfect for chill summer patios, pool parties, and BBQs
- FEATURES – With 3 fan speeds, wide-angle oscillation, and a slim design this mist fan has it all
- ECO-FRIENDLY – Instead of freon and other chemicals, get climate control that uses clean evaporation
- QUALITY – This personal misting fan is made with quality materials, to keep you comfy all day
- NEWAIR – With good quality products and excellent customer service, NewAir is a name you can trust
Second on our list of the best fans that blow cold air is the New Air 2800CM misting fan. It’s a powerful fan that has a provision for connecting the water supply to a regular hose. It is made of quality material and can lower surrounding temperatures by 10 degrees. With its 2800 CFM, it can cool up to 600 square feet of patio, deck, or outdoor kitchen space. If you are looking for a fan that can cool the surrounding, this is the ideal one.
- Environment-friendly does not use chemicals like freon to cool your air
- It’s made with durable materials, including metallic blades
- Manufactured by NEWAIR, one the most trusted brands
- It is pricey
- It doesn’t come with a water tank
- Only Suitable for use outdoor
3) Newair Evaporative Air Cooler and Portable Cooling Fan (Best portable)
- [CYCLONECIRCULATION] – CycloneCirculationTM technology keeps cold air moving, which creates a wind chill effect that feels even cooler on your skin than still air does. The enhanced oscillation and adjustable fan speeds cool any room quickly by pushing cool air from the pads to the farthest corner of your living area.
- [ULTRA-CONVENIENT FEATURES] – The removable, 1.45-gallon water tank makes drip-free refills a snap while remote control lets you change the fan speed and settings at the touch of a button. Caster wheels help you move the air cooler with ease to any room.
- [CONTEMPORARY DESIGN] – Comes in a sleek and modern design works beautifully in spaces where looks matter.
- [PERFECT FOR DRY CLIMATES] – As the powerful fan pulls hot, dry air across the fibrous pad surface, water quickly turns from liquid into gas, providing a refreshing breeze. Want even faster cooling? Use the included ice packs in the ice tank for extra relief on the hottest days.
- [ECO FRIENDLY COOLING] – Cool your home without any chemical coolants and naturally through evaporative cooling. An energy efficient swamp cooler is an eco-friendly alternative to air conditioners. You’ll use far less energy each season, which saves you money and helps you tread more lightly on the earth. That’s a win-win!
This model is a great fit especially if you are looking for a fan that can circulate the cold air in your while at the same time saving you on energy Bills. It comes with a ‘portable’ design to be easily maneuvered from one place to another.
It also features a contemporary design that can blend seamlessly with any décor.
The unit is suitable for use indoors and can provide a maximum of 470 CFM.
- It is lightweight and portable
- Eco friendly technology, it doesn’t use chemicals for cooling
- Comes with a remote
- Ideal for use only in dry regions
- Suitable only for relatively smaller spaces
4) Geek Aire – (Best Portable Misting Fan with A Reservoir)
- ✅ A POWERFUL CORDLESS BATTERY FAN with zero hassle. The Geek Aire portable, rechargeable fan will allow you to easily use and enjoy its 2300CFM airflow no matter where you are, unlike other plug-in floor fans. Enjoy optimal flexibility and a refreshing, cooling sensation on-the-go, twist the switch to start.
- ✅ LOWER THE TEMPERATURE to enjoy a cooling sensation with our powerful battery operated fan, utilizing 3 nozzles to spray refreshing cool mist up to 11.5ft. You can pivot the misting fan to adjust the mist coverage and the distance, 360ºup&down. Water make hot summer days more enjoyable.
- ✅ DETACHABLE BATTERY FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE: A full-charged battery will offer you 2-10 hours of fan time, but since our batteries are detachable, you can get 2 or 3 more batteries, charge them beforehand and enjoy up to 4-20 hours or 6-30 hours of operation. And the best part? You can use our battery as a power-bank and charge all your mobile devices, which is perfect for camping!
- ✅ PORTABLE MISTING FAN FOR A COOL BREEZE ON-THE-GO: Lightweight just 13.0 lbs and compact size 22.5″x21.3″x10.2″, your easy-to-carry battery powered fan is great for your porch, deck, patios, job site outdoors, farm, picnic, BBQ and your nature adventures, it won’t take up too much spaces of your car trunk.
- ✅ SAFELY USE YOUR MISTER FAN: Made of strong ABS, with a thickened coating, your outdoor fan is waterproof, rustproof, UV-resistant and functions at 24v DC, much lower than household voltage, for your safety.
This is another powerful portable and rechargeable fan from Geek Aire which provides a maximum of 1500CFM airflow. If you are looking for a fan that can easily be moved from one place to another this is the right fan for you.
It is rechargeable and works with batteries meaning that it’s also ideal for camping, where there is usually no power supply from the main grid. The batteries are detachable, allowing you to charge and carry extra batteries for prolonged use.
- Come with a detachable water tank
- Batteries can last up to 24 hours depending on the operating mode
- Easy to assemble
5) OEMTOOLS 23980 24″ Oscillating Wall-Mount Misting Fan (Best wall mountable)
- BEAT THE HEAT: This 24 inch commercial wall mount fan raises the bar for cooling power; Blow away other wall mount oscillating fans with its 6500 cubic feet of airflow per minute
- FANS HELD HIGH: Mount your 24 inch fan anywhere that can support the included mounting brackets; Great for garages, job sites, greenhouses, gyms, and more
- SPREAD THE LOVE: Cool the whole room as the hanging oscillating fan distributes its airflow back and forth; Keep everyone refreshed for the long haul with 90 degree oscillation
- KEEP YOUR COOL: The 3 speed (2.0 A) motor of the wall fan lets you choose what works for you; With a max. 74 dB sound rating, this wall-mount fan is great for larger spaces
- JOIN THE FAN CLUB: The precision-balanced aluminum fan blades make this heavy duty oscillating fan energy efficient; Keep temperatures and utility costs down all summer
Now, this is the perfect fit when you are talking of real power. It will provide a steady stream of air up to 7200 CFM.
If you are particular about creating space, you will find this model convenient for you. This is because it can easily be mounted on any standing wall, so it doesn’t really take up much space, making it ideal for small homes or apartments.
And if you want more freedom of movement, it’s equipped with an oscillating feature so that it can be adjusted vertically or horizontally to cover you regardless of your direction.
This fan will blow real cold air and will lower temperatures in a 1000 square feet space by 30 degrees. Lowering the surrounding temperatures by 30 degrees makes it work like air conditioners, which typically lower temperatures by 20 degrees.
- High cooling power
- Comes with a 180 degrees conciliating feature
- Unit does not have a water tank
- It’s ideal for use outdoor
6) Hessaire MC37M Evaporative Cooler
- PORTABLE – 4 heavy duty locking casters for cooling home, patio or workshop spaces up to 950 square feet
- COMPACT YET POWERFUL – 37x17x24 inches; 3, 100 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM); 3 fan speeds and oscillating louvers to ensure even distribution, wide coverage and comfort
- EASY TO OPERATE & SIMPLE TO MAINTAIN – 3 simple rotary controls allow the fan (Off, Hi, Med, Low), pump (On, Off) and oscillation motor (On, Off) to be controlled independently
- MANUAL & CONTINUOUS FILL – Utilize the Continuous Fill option by attaching a household hose with the included float adaptor, eliminating the need to manually watch and fill the water tank
- SUPERCHARGED, ECONOMICAL COOLING – 3-sided rigid high-density cooling pads for increased evaporative surface area generating cooler air
This is a great choice if you do not want to go with the misting fans. And this is also ideal when you live in dry regions with low humidity.
This type of fan doesn’t use chemicals for cooling but blows cold air into your space with the help of a wet filter. It draws hot air and passes it through a wet filter pad where evaporation takes place and blows the cold air into the surrounding air.
It can cool large spaces, providing up to 3, 100 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM)
- Features oscillating louvers to ensure even distribution of the cool air
- Doesn’t come with a remote control
- Ideal for outdoor only
7) hOmeLabs Evaporative Cooler
- Experience a cool and relaxing day at home with the hOmelabs portable air conditioner. It cools quietly and is perfect for 300 – 450 square feet room with horizontal window opening. Equipped with an automatic vertical swing function that evenly distributes airflow throughout the room
- Our portable AC measures 17.9 x 15 x 30.7 inches and has wheels so it can be easily moved to any room that has a window accessible. Simply attach the hose and the window slide adapter, plug in the power supply and you’re good to go. Most customers are able to install in 8 minutes or less. At the end of a season or when you don’t need it, simply unhook the unit and store in your closet, basement or garage
- Keep your air clean and your portable AC running efficiently with the included washable filter. The filter indicator light will illuminate to remind you when to clean the air filter. We recommend you clean the filter approximately once every two weeks. The unit also comes with a remote control to quickly set your desired temperature, fan speed, change cooling modes or activate the eco-friendly sleep feature
Are you looking for an evaporator for indoor use? If so, then the hOmelables evaporator cooler is the best option. And, if you are particular about saving energy while cooling your space, you will love this evaporator fan. In addition, it comes with a built-in 10 liter water tank so you are sure to run this fan for long hours without having to refill it often.
It will cool rooms up to 200 square feet meters. Unlike any other ordinary fans, this model is equipped with a nylong air filter that ensures that the cold air that is blown into your living space is always clean and free of pet hair and dust
- Comes with a remote control
- Uses water to blow cold air (doesn’t come with all those heavy stuff-like compressors)
- Comes with a 24-hour programmable timer
- Need regular cleaning of the nylong (at least once a week) but this can easily be done by just sliding out the filter and washing it with mild detergent.
- Mostly ideal for use in regions with low humidity like Arizona Colorado, New Mexico or the western part of the country.
8) Honeywell Powerful Outdoor Portable Evaporative Cooler with Fan
- Ideal for large open rooms, patio/ BBQ areas, garage, deck, backyard, warehouse
- Best used in typically hot and dry climates where humidity levels are <60%
- Not just a fan – air cooler reduces temperature through water evaporation
- Moist, cool breeze can cool you down without spraying floor & furniture with water
- Low power consumption, continuous water supply connection – operate all day long. Portable swamp Cooler is easy to move around with smooth rolling wheels (Sound level at high speed: approx. 62dB)
This is another evaporator fan that blows real cold air. This evaporator cooler fan features 14-inch blades and is ideal for cooling open areas such as patios and BBQ areas etc. It can provide up to 1062 Cubic Feet Per Minute of air.
It is also waterproof, so you don’t need to move it in when a storm hits outside. And it’s relatively quieter, with sound levels up to 62 decibels on the highest speed setting.
- Has a Portable design
- Features roller wheels
- Ideal for use in dry regions (Ideally in regions that have less than 60% humidity)
- Doesn’t come with a remote control
9) Dyson Cool AM07 Air Multiplier Tower Fan (doesn’t create cold air but a great fan)
- Dyson fans use patented Air Multiplier technology to create a powerful stream of uninterrupted airflow without fast spinning blades making it safe for children, pets and during cleaning
- 2 year parts & labor warranty when purchased from an authorized reseller; Airflow at maximum setting 500 l/s
- Dyson fans are quiet and powerful while being safe and easy to clean; Cord length: 6.6 feet
- Features include sleep timer which can be programmed to turn off after preset intervals ranging from 15 minutes to nine hours
- Remote control has the choice of 10 precise airflow settings; The remote is curved and magnetized to store neatly on the machine; Tested for filtration efficiency (EN1822) at 0.1 microns
We have added this unit because of its latest air multiplier technology which enables it to create uninterrupted air flow. This is a very powerful fan and is among the newest fan models on the market, but please note that this fan doesn’t create cold air as the other fans we have looked at in this article. This is the best choice if you just want a very good fan with the latest tech specification.
However, you can set the temperature on heat mode but cannot set the temperature in cool mode.
It is a very quiet fan, and because it doesn’t come with blades, it’s safe for both kids and pets.
- Comes with a remote control
- Features 10 airflow settings
- Comes with a remote
- Doesn’t blow cold air like the evaporator or misting fans
10) Lasko Products Portable Electric 42″ Oscillating Tower Fan
- 【Beat the Heat】If you live in the heat with no central air, or your window AC units do a poor job of moving air around your whole house or apartment, this stand up fan creates excellent air flow making you feel cooler. Comes with built-in carry handle, optional oscillation and a handy remote for when you don’t feel like getting up to change the settings.
- 【Very Quiet】Powered by 3 speed settings H/M/L, fan creates a powerful breeze, but even on H, you can still hear the TV. If you need white noise to sleep, this tower fan is perfectly sized to aim over a high bed and creates a soothing purr that drowns out bedroom noises making it easy to fall asleep. Energy efficient auto-off timer can be set from 0.5 to 7.5 hours.
- 【Fresher Air Ionizer】The built-in Ionizer disperses millions of negative ions into the air that bond with positively charged ions which includes things like dust, bacteria, pollen, smoke and other allergens. Once the bond is formed, the particles become heavier and fall to the ground. As the negative ion levels grow in the room, the air feels naturally fresher.
- 【A Real Space Saver】Standing 41.8” tall with a small 13” x 13” footprint, the sleek, vertical design of this tower fan optimizes floor space letting you to put the tower fan in places where pedestal & box fans won’t fit, without sacrificing air circulation, comfort or style. Ideal for the dorm, kitchen, living room, RV and home office.
- 【Designed for Safety】Lasko has been making high-quality fans designed to enhance home and workplace comfort for more than 100 years; this fan is ETL listed and comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
If your ac does a really powerful job at circulating air, this Lasko oscillating fan is your solution. The unit can create an excellent airflow. It has 3-speed settings and is very quiet such that even on the highest setting, you shall still be able to hear from the TV.
- Comes with a remote
- Low cost
- Does not create cold air
How Do Fans Make Us Feel Cool?
Traditional fans do not necessarily cool the air. The truth is fans can blow cold air when there is cold air around and will blow warm air when the surrounding air is warm air.
What makes us feel cool when a fan blow is an evaporative effect from the sweat on our skin. Even if you don’t see the sweat on your skin with your naked eyes, there can be small droplets of sweat under your skin.
Different types of fans can cool differently by convection conduction and evaporation.
By convection. This is when heat is taken away from a surface by the current of the air. So, when you stand by the moving air as long as it’s below 98 degrees, it will take away the heat. Nearly all fans cool by convection.
By conduction: conduction is when you come into contact with a conducting medium such as water. In a misting fan, tiny drops of water are cooler than your body temperature, and they will conduct their coolness to the area of the skin they touch. These tiny droplets of water are usually cool even on the hottest day because they tend to evaporate when they move through the air and cool before they touch your body, making you feel cooler.
By Evaporation. The swamp coolers cool the rooms by adding moisture to the air. They are energy efficient, and they don’t add any chemicals to the air. They are a viable option for dry climate areas.