Share This Guide
If communication is not established between the control module and the display board within 3s of starting the heater, a CE error will be displayed. The error is also displayed when communication between the two interfaces is lost for over 30 seconds. But first, the CE error code…
The Hayward CE Error is a communication error code that displays on your heater display when there is a communication error between the control module and the display interface assembly.
The code usually clears after valid data exchanges between the control module and the display assembly.
Below is a chart for CE possible causes and the main fixes.
Chart for Hayward Heater CE code
|CE CODE POSSIBLE CAUSE||MAIN FIXES|
|HEATER NEEDS A RESTART||DISCONNECT THEN RECONNECT POWER TO HEATER|
|FAULTY WIRING OR CONNECTION||ENSURE DISPLAY INTERFACE PLUG IS INTACT|
|CONTROL MODULE IS DEFECTIVE||REPLACE CONTROL MODULE|
|DISPLAY INTERFACE ASSEMBLY IS DEFECTIVE||REPLACE DISPLAY ASSEMBLY|
As we always said, it’s best to call professionals if you are unsure about troubleshooting your heater. But if you are going to try and fix your heater, below are a few states to help you diagnose the error.
Time for a new pool heater?
Steps to diagnose the CE Code
1. Check whether your heater is powered to the correct rated voltage source.
2. Check for faulty wiring or loose connection
3. Test for 24 VAC on the control module to check whether it is defective or not
4. Check whether the display assembly is defective or not
CE Code FIXES
1. When your heater displays the CE code, the first thing to do is try to restart your heater. Sometimes, power supply inconsistency or a little power surge could cause your heater system to misbehave and not respond to instructions.
Switch off the heater (best to do it from the breaker) and turn it back on. If the code does not clear, head over to the next troubleshooting step.
2. The second thing to do is check whether the wiring on your display interface assembly is intact or not.
Ensure the wiring is not tempered, especially by small animals (rodents.)
Loose wires or cables can also cause interruptions on the circuit board; ensure wires are securely attached between the two interfaces. Give the display interface plug a tug and securely attach it if necessary.
3. Thirdly, if nothing works at this point, check for 24 VAC across the R and C terminals on the control board. If it’s not there, replace the harness. Otherwise, if 24VAC is present, remove the F1 from the fuse holder and measure continuity across it. If the fuse is ok, you are most likely dealing with a defective control module, and to resolve this problem, you’ll need to replace it.
- Replace your sun damaged or failng keypad
- Fits All H & H FD SERIES,H & H FD SERIES LOW NOX AND UNIVERSAL H & H FD SERIES LOW NOX HEATERS
- Easy for installation,you will need to remove your old keypad and re-use your existing plastic panel.
- The flex circuit is much more flexible than the original keypads.
4. If the control module is fine, you might have a defective display assembly. The only way to fix a defective display board is to replace it with a non-defective one.
- H400 control panel assembly replacement
- Fits hayward h-series millivolt electronic ed2 style pool heater
- Weighs 5.9-pound
How do I reset my Hayward pool heater?
This is how you can reset your Hayward heater manually.
· Use the keypad to cycle the MODE button through “STANDBY”
· Cycle through and back to the original operating mode ‘pool’ or ‘spar’.
· If that doesn’t do the trick, reset the heater using the breaker switch. This should reset your heater.
Why Won’t My Pool Heater Fire Up?
If your heater doesn’t power up, this could be mainly due to a defective transformer. You’ll need to test voltage across the transformer to troubleshoot this problem. Start by disconnecting the plug from the P4 connector from the Fuse Board. Then measure for 24 VAC across the pins of the transformer. If 24 VAC is not present, replace the transformer.
What is Hayward Heater H5 Code?
Some people mistake the H5 code on their Hayward heater, but really it’s the HS code on a Hayward heater which is a water temperature sensing error that can mean either of two things.
What does the code IF mean on a Hayward pool heater?
The Hayward heater IF code is an ignition failure code that indicates a problem with the ignition control system. See the full article on this topic here.
We hope you have fixed and cleared off the CE code on your pool heater. Hayward has several different codes to notify you about a specific issue, and the CE code is one of those common ones. To keep your heater running efficiently, do not skip heater servicing or maintenance.
Regular heater maintenance can save you costs that come with unexpected breakdowns. Thank you for reading.
Other Hayward Heater Error Codes:
HVAC tech with over 30 years of experience. Retired and doing repair work on the side around Madison County, AL.